More livable, safer and accessible streets may be destined for a Phoenix city block near you, thanks to grassroots efforts and development of a pioneering working group made up of advocates and city staff.
Vitalyst Health Foundation is proud to have been part of the team that made it happen. Watch our video to learn more about Complete Streets.
What’s Happening Now
- Vitalyst is involved with implementing Complete Streets through the City of Phoenix Complete Streets Advisory Board. Find out about what the Advisory Board is doing here.
- Get your copy of the Phoenix Complete Streets Ordinances here and here. Vitalyst was part of the Phoenix Complete Streets Working Group that made these ordinances possible.
- Download the Complete Streets Policy Guide produced by Vitalyst in partnership with the Working Group.
Learn more from our community partner, Serena Unrein, on Complete Streets:
- A guide to the Complete Streets goals, strategies and planning process of Maricopa County (via the Maricopa Association of Governments).
- Best policy and implementation practices for creating Complete Streets, supported with case studies from various U.S. cities.
- Seattle’s pedestrian master plan.
- The Palmetto, South Carolina Cycling Coalition’s Complete Streets Advocacy Manual and the Safe Streets Save Lives initiative, which works to improve bicycle safety in South Carolina.
- Chicago’s Sustainable Urban Infrastructure Guidelines and Streetscape Design Guidelines.
- A guide to increase the safety and availability of travel for older adults.
- An image from the Walkable Livable Communities Institute that shows how to design people-focused neighborhoods for better livability, and one that shows how to consider better livability when designing school campuses.
- Best practices used in California’s efforts to create complete streets and increase bikeability.