If you’re fortunate to live to a ripe old age, there are some. A rabbi who recently turned 90 listed six reasons to grow old. They are worth passing on:
- Tranquility. The battles have been waged, the die cast. The pushing, striving and struggle wane.
- The cooling of passion. You’re less quick to action. You’re more likely to stop and think.
- The art of submission. Stuff happens. You have to accept the unalterable.
- Less dogmatic. You could be wrong. The liberation from the compulsion to set the world straight.
- Gratitude. More awareness of the little favors people do for each other. “You are a zero by yourself.”
- Greater involvement with family. Time for the connections that matter.