Arizona Population by Primary Insurance Market Segment, 2006 (In Thousands)
- Medicare enrollees account for 14% of the population, but approximately 30% of total healthcare expenditures.
- Within the non-Medicare population, employees of small businesses account for just 7% of the insured population, although small businesses represent approximately 90% of all Arizona businesses.
- 40% of Arizona’s non-Medicare population is either uninsured or enrolled in AHCCCS.
- Medicaid figures do not include individuals who are also eligible for Medicare, as Medicare would be considered their “primary” source of health insurance coverage.
- Small employers are those employers who employ 50 or fewer employers. Remaining employers are classified as “large employers.”
- Individuals covered only through the Indian Health Service are included in the uninsured market segment.
- Due to rounding, numbers may not add to 100 percent.