Building healthier communities requires work that today often exist in terms of wills, but not always skills. SLHI’s work with Maryvale, South Phoenix, and the Canyon Corridor Alliance are just three examples of how facilitation pairs with clarity to produce focus on the path to building coalitions and alliances that are working along the policy continuum. Strengthening how alliances and coalitions work supports SLHI’s theory of change: Healthy and resilient communities are supported by policy and systems shaped and influenced by effective non-profits and alliances.
In June 2013, SLHI initiated the Alliance Fellowship to increase the number of people who could facilitate systems change work in Arizona. They sought out individuals who were highly committed to being intentional, skilled, mindful and sensitive facilitators working to build solid alliances to effect large scale social change. To date eighteen seasoned consultants have experienced taking their facilitation skills to the next level, specifically as it relates to working with coalitions and alliances working along the policy continuum. Together they have embarked on a series of activities, trainings and collaborative learning sessions to:
- Increase their capacity to facilitate more effective collective action.
- Expand the depth and breadth of resources and tools for driving maximum impact.
- Enhance their adaptability for a broader range of situations and needs.
- Foster a catalytic network of alliance and coalition facilitators who support and learn from one another.
Fellows from the first and second cohort have been deploying their new skills to help a variety of collaboratives related to SLHI’s mission. Alliance Fellows are core to a growing network of individuals with:
- Master-level facilitation skills
- Expanded access to theories, tools, and best practices
- A flexible, varied toolkit of resources and approaches
- The ability to adapt to a range of clients and situations
- Opportunities to strengthen group’s ability to address sensitive social topics related to health equity
What’s happening now:
- Alliance Fellows are working in a variety of collaborative efforts related to SLHI’s work.
- Cohort Two concluded in May 2015
- Plans are underway for Cohort Three to begin in January 2016
If you would like to learn more about SLHI’s Alliance Fellows initiative, click here.